This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEGA Brainstorming Thread

I believe we have come to the conclusion that we will be doing a ppt slideshow for the next season along with any other ideas that surface. All we need to do is discuss what, where, and how.

If you have any ideas for other things we could add or do away with, please share them here and we can iron out a solid plan for the next semester.

Also, if you want to teach classroom sessions, please step up and let me know. We will need to get together sometime in the off season to run through the inside sessions with everyone a few times to make sure it all flows nicely and does not take too much time. A little practice never hurt nobody.

Classroom Instructors:
    1. Greg
    2. Jordan

Duties to successfully pull one of these off:
    1. Site acquisition
    2. Clinic Promotion
    3. Handling info request
    4. Scheduling
    5. Registration
    6. Equipment pick-up & return
    7. Classroom instruction
    8. Field Instruction
    9. Classroom support (PowerPoints, animation, exhibits, etc.)
    10. Post-clinic follow-up

1. Site Acquisition - We cannot rely on one site, and we don't need to wear out our welcome at any one site either. As with Solo, we constantly need to be on the lookout for possible sites. The ideal site is at least 100' X 200', with easy access to classroom and bathroom facilities. Once found, someone needs to contact the site owner, sell the cause, and secure a range of possible dates.

2. Clinic promotion - we have a waiting list for 2009 already, and about half of those have already submitted payment, so promotion is not a big deal for Spring 2009. If we can get two or three paragraphs in the newspapaer, it will supply students for a full year. Strangely, TV and radio have not proven to be that effective, since these media are not "permanent" the way the News is.

3. Handling info request - Once a News story runs, we get literally hundreds of phone calls and emails requesting information. And the requests keep coming for about six months, trailing off with time. By then, we have had a few clinics, and those who have attended spread the word to other parents. It's unending. I made the decision a couple of years ago, from the standpoint of convenience and expense, to handle all requests for information by email.

4. Scheduling - not an easy task considering that the needs of the site owner(s) must be first considered (another reason to have more than one available site). Then we schedule around ALSCCA events, and we have lots of events. We also try to work around TVR's big events. Then in the Fall, we schedule around Alabama and Auburn home games, becaue we have found that people will sign up, only to cancel at the last minute when they realize that it's game day.

5. Registration - The reply to requests for information includes a registration form. We consider a registration complete when it is received in hand, by personal delivery or by snail mail, along with a check for payment. We register students on a first come, first served basis. We give them a choice of three clinic dates (usually) to attend in the Spring and three in the Fall, and ask them to list their dates in preference order. Based on that first come first served rule, we then start juggling the registrations around the various dates to accomodate as many people as possible. Once the clinics are filled, a notice is sent advising them of their clinic date. We always have a few to cancel or request a different date at the last minute, so we keep a waiting list handy to fill those spots. A week before each clinic, a reminder email is sent to the participants. Finally, a day or two before the clinic, the completion certificates are printed.

6. Equipment Pick-Up & Return - We have to pick up pylons, brooms, signal lights, etc. from the club trailer. When they are picked up depends on the site. For instance, at New South, I block off the lot on Friday at 5:00pm because people tend to park cars here over the weekend. And the number of cones needed also depends on the site, varying with the amount of outside access that must be blocked off. At any rate, the cones and equipment must be here and set up no later than 8:30 the morning of the clinic. When the clinic is over, it all has to go back to the trailer.

7. Classroom instruction - You've got a room full of teenagers who would rather be sleeping, shopping, zoning out than be at some dumb Driver's Ed class, so you've got to get their attention early and keep it entertaining all day. We have a ciriculum that is pretty much set and we can't deviate too much, but all the embellishment is all yours.

8. Field Instruction - when you get right down to it, this is the meat of the program; talking to the kids one-on-one after every exercise, sometimes riding with them, sometimes driving their car. This is where it all become real to them - when they can feel it in the - well, it you've been to a NDCCC, you know where.

9. Classroom support - I'm glad to see you guys jump on this because I think it's what's needed to bring a fresh approach to the clinics. PowerPoints, animations, exhibits, whatever works.

10. Post-clinic follow-up - a few days after every clinic, I send a follow-up email to the parents and ask for feedback. I also send an email to the student's school principal and let them know about course completion. This would be a duty of the Registrar.
    Last edited by Cholewa; 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM.
    M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

I'm up for teaching as a back-up ... stick me in slot #3 I guess.

As far as the presentation, I want to build some animations for the friction/weight transfer discussion. I just have a question ... would it be useful to have a 3D animation for the weight transfer discussion? I seem to remember Greg always having to draw in 2D but talk in 3D ... I though it may be a good reason to have a transparent vehicle body in 3D with the weight on each wheel labeled and visible.

I also plan to build graphics/animations for each exercise, as well as things like brake modulation for non-ABS cars. Let's start a list of everything we could use graphics/animations for ...

1. All exercises animated (Slalom, Cloverleaf, Offset Slalom, Braking, Stop-in-a-box, Lane Change)
    2. Friction Circle (perhaps paired with animated vehicle that pitches with G-forces referenced with the circle and a simple 0%-100% available friction gauge)
    3. Suspension/Weight Transfer animation
    4. Braking technique for both ABS and non-ABS cars (paired with car stopping and car sliding animation)
    5. Graphic for tire contact patch (to reinforce the palm of hand reference)

Please copy the list and add if you have other ideas.
    Matt W.
    18 SM - Lancer Evolution MR
    15 MR - Volkswagen Beetle
    Sponsors: Satellite Racing - Defined Performance

Comment

Backing up to the beginning; let's define all the duties:

1. Site acquisition
      2. Clinic Promotion
      3. Handling info request
      4. Scheduling
      5. Registration
      6. Equipment pick-up & return
      7. Classroom instruction
      8. Field Instruction
      9. Classroom support (PowerPoints, animation, exhibits, etc.)
      10. Post-clinic follow-up

1. Site Acquisition - We cannot rely on one site, and we don't need to wear out our welcome at any one site either. As with Solo, we constantly need to be on the lookout for possible sites. The ideal site is at least 100' X 200', with easy access to classroom and bathroom facilities. Once found, someone needs to contact the site owner, sell the cause, and secure a range of possible dates.

2. Clinic promotion - we have a waiting list for 2009 already, and about half of those have already submitted payment, so promotion is not a big deal for Spring 2009. If we can get two or three paragraphs in the newspapaer, it will supply students for a full year. Strangely, TV and radio have not proven to be that effective, since these media are not "permanent" the way the News is.

3. Handling info request - Once a News story runs, we get literally hundreds of phone calls and emails requesting information. And the requests keep coming for about six months, trailing off with time. By then, we have had a few clinics, and those who have attended spread the word to other parents. It's unending. I made the decision a couple of years ago, from the standpoint of convenience and expense, to handle all requests for information by email.

4. Scheduling - not an easy task considering that the needs of the site owner(s) must be first considered (another reason to have more than one available site). Then we schedule around ALSCCA events, and we have lots of events. We also try to work around TVR's big events. Then in the Fall, we schedule around Alabama and Auburn home games, becaue we have found that people will sign up, only to cancel at the last minute when they realize that it's game day.

5. Registration - The reply to requests for information includes a registration form. We consider a registration complete when it is received in hand, by personal delivery or by snail mail, along with a check for payment. We register students on a first come, first served basis. We give them a choice of three clinic dates (usually) to attend in the Spring and three in the Fall, and ask them to list their dates in preference order. Based on that first come first served rule, we then start juggling the registrations around the various dates to accomodate as many people as possible. Once the clinics are filled, a notice is sent advising them of their clinic date. We always have a few to cancel or request a different date at the last minute, so we keep a waiting list handy to fill those spots. A week before each clinic, a reminder email is sent to the participants. Finally, a day or two before the clinic, the completion certificates are printed.

6. Equipment Pick-Up & Return - We have to pick up pylons, brooms, signal lights, etc. from the club trailer. When they are picked up depends on the site. For instance, at New South, I block off the lot on Friday at 5:00pm because people tend to park cars here over the weekend. And the number of cones needed also depends on the site, varying with the amount of outside access that must be blocked off. At any rate, the cones and equipment must be here and set up no later than 8:30 the morning of the clinic. When the clinic is over, it all has to go back to the trailer.

7. Classroom instruction - You've got a room full of teenagers who would rather be sleeping, shopping, zoning out than be at some dumb Driver's Ed class, so you've got to get their attention early and keep it entertaining all day. We have a ciriculum that is pretty much set and we can't deviate too much, but all the embellishment is all yours.

8. Field Instruction - when you get right down to it, this is the meat of the program; talking to the kids one-on-one after every exercise, sometimes riding with them, sometimes driving their car. This is where it all become real to them - when they can feel it in the - well, it you've been to a NDCCC, you know where.

9. Classroom support - I'm glad to see you guys jump on this because I think it's what's needed to bring a fresh approach to the clinics. PowerPoints, animations, exhibits, whatever works.

10. Post-clinic follow-up - a few days after every clinic, I send a follow-up email to the parents and ask for feedback. I also send an email to the student's school principal and let them know about course completion. This would be a duty of the Registrar.

Not everyone has the talent and ability to do every job. For instance, my weak point is field instruction; most of you regulars are much better than I at this. I am far too independent to ask any one for any thing, so site acquisition is another of my weak points. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it takes people of all talents to make this happen. So let's all get on board and contribute something to the 1) continuation and 2) improvement of this valuable program.

I'm exhausted!

Greg
      Last edited by ThumbsUp; 10-27-2008, 09:29 AM.
      1 part MacGyver, 1 part Stephen Hawking, 1 part Jed Clampett, 1 part Bart Simpson

Comment

greg if you get me some info on acquisition there are a couple of places that i feel we could probably acquire...

mainly what do the site owners get out of it besides the warm fuzzy feeling of helping out there community
        Ervin Carder
        Wasabi Green Mazda2
        32 STF

Comment

Originally posted by wangan_x View Post
          greg if you get me some info on acquisition there are a couple of places that i feel we could probably acquire...

mainly what do the site owners get out of it besides the warm fuzzy feeling of helping out there community
          Generally we've offered one clinic that would be free to 12-15 of their members.
          Check his website for all the materials: www.thumbsupracing.com/ndccc i believe
          M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

Comment

I am just going to throw this out there... and it is just my 0.02$

PPT presentations are the worst teaching method and whoever decided it was a great way to teach needs to be shot. These kids see ppt every day at school. We need to keep our stuff different to keep the interest levels up. Something uptempo and such. Now I don't know what that may be right at this minute.... And again, just my 0.02$

Comment

Shea, what method would you suggest to present the information?

I agree that PPTs can be a horrible way to present. Especially if the speaker just reads the slides to you. However, at heart PPT is a presentation solution that, when used correctly, can effectively convey your message.

Now, this may not be the best solution, but it's a better solution than the current whiteboard. It's better because it keeps the classes consistent, keeps the speaker engaged (not having to turn their back to the class to draw/write) and allows for more presentation options, such as animations to reinforce the instructor's spill.
              Last edited by TouringBubble; 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM.
              Matt W.

Comment

I want to take the Classroom instructors #2 slot, assuming that Greg is in the #1 slot. Greg, are we still doing the classroom instruction for this upcoming event as we discussed at Autocross? I take the "friction circle" lecture after lunch?
                - Jordan, GS-15
                "I am here to live aloud." - Emile Zola

Comment

Also - on the PPT presentation -
                  I believe it can be effective. I have been sitting in college powerpoint lectures for the better part of the last five years, and have seen it done right and done very wrong. Before we shoot down something that could be a very effective teaching tool, let's give it a chance. I like Matt's suggestion of animations - that would be incredible. It's difficult to teach a 3D concept with just your voice and a 2D animation. But if the kids were able to see actual animations and/or video of what we're talking about, they - especially the visual learners - will be much more able to understand what we are trying to explain.
                  - Jordan, GS-15
                  "I am here to live aloud." - Emile Zola

Comment

I think someone needs to bring a Camera to the next event so we can get some video. I would like to offer up my stock suspension to help demonstrate body roll and nose diving and what not that can be placed in said ppt.
                    M. Cholewa

Comment

I'll bring my camera ... I like where you're going with that idea Mike. I can see shooting your car head on coming toward the camera on the slalom showing the suspension travel. I could do slow motion and even pause and add graphics on top of the video to illustrate what is actually happening. We could do a similar treatment with the braking exercise.
                      Matt W.

Comment

Originally posted by aufoxy View Post
                        I want to take the Classroom instructors #2 slot, assuming that Greg is in the #1 slot.
                        My intention for the future is to serve in an administrative role, coordinating the people and events. I'll probably retain scheduling, registration, and follow-up. I'll even make it to a clinic or two. But, as I have said before, the club cannot be too dependent on any one person for an activity. And after 11 years, I'm getting a little tired of my own routine. I don't think Michael intended his #1, 2, 3 to be a rank ordering of classroom instructors; he's just indicating that having at least 3 people to do that job would be ideal.

Originally posted by aufoxy View Post
                        Greg, are we still doing the classroom instruction for this upcoming event as we discussed at Autocross? I take the "friction circle" lecture after lunch?
                        Yes. I'll do the opening and go thru exercises #1 & 2. You will pick up on page 14 of the script with "Vehicle Dynamics" and continue until mid-way of page 20. Your sections are: Vehicle Dynamics, Friction Circle, Weight Transfer, Polar Moment of Inertia, Anatomy of an Accident, and Briefing on Exercise #3. I'll pick it up again when we return to the classrom for Briefing on Exercise #4.

Remember that the script is just a guideline; you are free to embellish as you see fit. Also, I only do the "Polar Moment" section if I'm feeling especially froggy that day. It's something that the kids will rarely ever experience unless they're driving Porsche 911s!

All that being said, I'm open to someone else taking the classroom from start thru exercise #2 and then closing out after Jordan. You gotta get your feet wet sometimes!
                        Last edited by ThumbsUp; 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM.
                        1 part MacGyver, 1 part Stephen Hawking, 1 part Jed Clampett, 1 part Bart Simpson

Comment

i'd be willing to instruct, provided its on a day off, i don't have the luxury of having all weekends off
                          Ervin Carder
                          Wasabi Green Mazda2
                          32 STF

Comment

Originally posted by wangan_x View Post
                            i'd be willing to instruct, .....
                            Great, we'd love to have you. Everyone needs to get a clinic working and/or observing as a field instructor first so that you get a better sense of what we're trying to teach.

Comment

I do want to be in the classroom. Sorry I missed this Sunday, I have been so sick my dog didn't even want to be around me!

Presentation and believing in what you are saying go a long long way into making a power point not only effective but engaging. I don't want to completely do away with the whiteboard. What I want from the power point is a way to structure the flow of the classroom instruction. It will give the instructors the proper talking points for a particualr section of the class and make things flow. It's up to the instructor to keep the class interacting with the current lesson and this will be easier to do if us newbies know where we have been and where we are going without looking at a notebook every 2 seconds.

Sean
                              www.gm-technologies.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global...td/22788986341

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=643793365

Comment

Working...
                              X