No announcement yet.

Car weight and corner weighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely couldn't use them for Spec Miata. Push up, stop, push off, NEXT PLEASE. 10 minutes 30 cars.

ROLL DAMN TIDE
    M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cholewa View Post
      Definitely couldn't use them for Spec Miata. Push up, stop, push off, NEXT PLEASE. 10 minutes 30 cars.

ROLL DAMN TIDE
      1 class? Eh, not really. The foam blocks jostle around too much to be used for mass production. The Atlanta scales are the best option. Sediv had the longaccre scales for the tour/divisional solo whatever in Atlanta and the line was loooooonnnngggg having to make adjustments between each car. We could build a sliding single axle set up with our scales. I may try to make something up so we can have 2 sets of scales.
      John W8
      CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Originally posted by JohnW8 View Post
        1 class? Eh, not really. The foam blocks jostle around too much to be used for mass production. The Atlanta scales are the best option. Sediv had the longaccre scales for the tour/divisional solo whatever in Atlanta and the line was loooooonnnngggg having to make adjustments between each car. We could build a sliding single axle set up with our scales. I may try to make something up so we can have 2 sets of scales.
        There's not that big of a difference between most cars in their respective race groups. I think some gaff tape on the ground with some chalk marks could give us 90% of the wheelbase/track we would need. And they're easy enough to move around and re-zero.

I think the time spent pushing each half of the car on scales, writing down each weight, doing the math, would be equally spent moving the small scales and pushing up once.
        M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

Comment

Thank you for your opinion but you would be wrong.
          ;-)
          John W8
          CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

What John said.

Comment

And the off-topic threadjack of a zombie thread lives on...
              Rod H
              Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

I love lamp
                Heath Patterson
                "Look...both....It's like turbo." - C

Comment

Something that should actually be considered and not scoffed at, is using our 4 scales to do 2 cars at once.

We could set up the both fronts together and both rears together and they would act just like the large scales from ATL, push on one half, measure, other half, measure, done. And we wouldn't come into any issue with moving them much more than a few inches here and there for different tracks.

Just a thought.
                  M. Cholewa

Comment

Something that should actually be considered and not scoffed at...
                    in a thread related to using scales at races perhaps
                    Rod H
                    Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

The scales HAVE TO BE LEVEL in order to get an accurate reading. Sliding them around in different locations base of track width would require alot of set up time. The Atlanta scales are in a level platform that allows you to set it up on friday night and you're good to go for the weekend.

Those little foam blocks would also be fun peeling off of every hot tire coming off the track. Pushing a FF last year I pushed on the tire and it peeled the glove right off my hand.

That s%$t was hot!

We could use our scales as a freebie under the control tower, where it's level, for drivers to set up their cars or make changes if needed. I think they would appreciate the opportunity.
                      John W8
                      CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Originally posted by JohnW8 View Post
                        The scales HAVE TO BE LEVEL in order to get an accurate reading. Sliding them around in different locations base of track width would require alot of set up time. The Atlanta scales are in a level platform that allows you to set it up on friday night and you're good to go for the weekend.
                        We moved them all over the place in the tiny handicapped space at Oak Mtn. and had no problems. Just throwing out suggestions to possibly make something easier or more efficient.

I'll stop trying to help, I'll just write checks.
                        M. Cholewa

Comment

We moved them all over the place in the tiny handicapped space at Oak Mtn. and had no problems. Just throwing out suggestions to possibly make something easier or more efficient.

I'll stop trying to help, I'll just write checks.
                          Never stop trying to help. The tech people are cranky about consistent and repeatable measurements and are, er,.. uh.. older and don't do well with bending over to move pads and foam blocks.

When you move the individual scale around on unlevel ground you can get different readings. A slightly off level pad can be a slight bit off in the weight measurement and sometimes a slight bit matters. Last year, I passed impound by being 1 pound above my minimum weight. A pebble under a pad could have thrown off the reading just enough that I could've been under minimum and tossed.

I have an idea for a pad frame that can be leveled and use 2 pads to do exactly what you referenced. Weigh 2 cars in impound at a time. Build a frame that can be leveled and give the pads the ability to slide to fit the track of the cars and still be level.
                          John W8
                          CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

If you're going to use scales sitting on a concrete pad then you can forget it ever being 100% accurate unless the pad was finished with a laser screed when it was poured.

If you need accuracy down to the 1lb then you have to use the scales on a platform that can be leveled, otherwise you'll be off.

If someone is trying to get their car scaled down to the 1lb or even 5lb then they should just invest in a set of scales. There are so many factors that can cause a corner to read different (ie. unlevel scales, different tire pressures, shocks haven't settled, something in the suspension binding, etc) that you'll go insane trying to get too accurate.
                            Rusty Spray
                            '91 Camaro RS -- Sold

Comment

I sent an email to tech@alscca.net. No response yet. Is this service still being offered?
                              Brandon Roberts
                              Lotus Seven replica - Yamaha R1, book chasis
                              Lola T-640/644 - GSXR 1000
                              Extreme Kart - Briggs & Stratton World Formula
                              Birel B25 - Comer C-51

Comment

Working...
                              X