Car weight and corner weighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car weight and corner weighting

ALSCCA now has a nice set of LongAcre scales that we would like to offer for use by our members! If you're interested in weighing your car we can help! We will be bringing the scales to all solo, TT, and and club race events put on by ALSCCA. At these events we will be providing car weight services for anyone there. The cost will be $20 for a car weight. Below are some tips for having your car ready to be weighed...

- have your car in race ready shape. Remove anything that you wouldn't have in while racing.
    - if you have an adjustable suspension, make sure it is set
    - be aware of the amount of gas you have in the car

We will also be offering corner weight services BY APPOINTMENT ONLY!!! The reason it is by appt only is because it takes a minimum of an hour to do a corner weight, if not longer. If you want to corner weight your car, please contact tech@alscca.net for more info and to set up a day and time. The cost for corner weighing your car will be $80.
    Mark K
    1989 BMW 325i
    1990 BMW 325i
    2013 BMW 135i

Where is the location for corner weight? Could we take them home for a weekend?
    Darryl E.
    Blue Miata with ricer stickers.
    Wizzer Motorsports

Comment

Corner weighting will be done in Birmingham. We will not be loaning the scales out. Myself, John Kilgore, Cholewa, or C are the only ones that will be allowed to set up the scales. I know this seems like a really harsh and ridiculous thing to do, but it's an expensive system and we want them to last a long time. But since there are 4 of us, we should be able to make it easy to accommodate most everyone!!!
      Mark K
      1989 BMW 325i
      1990 BMW 325i
      2013 BMW 135i

Comment

At a minimum, you need a set of roll off scale pad levelers so the car can settle after adjustments. Scales MUST be level when doing measurements.

Comment

The logistics of a club owning a set of scales is a bit daunting. TAC/TVR had considered it in the past. Kudos to AL region for doing this.
          Charles
          TAC/TVR
          #72 SA rallyx Impreza 2.5 RS
          #74 "CSP" time trial Miata

Comment

I don't see the rationale behind this decision since there's only a handful of people that will benefit from their use.
            John W8
            CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

We have had many people ask over a couple years where weight and corner weight services can be found. Many of the local businesses charge an arm and a leg for the service because there are very few who actually offer the service. By our estimates, we can pay off the scales within 1-2 years and then everything after that can be put away for a rainy day.

Also, since we are now relying on ourselves to put on the barber club race, we need scales for tech and impound. In years past we have had to rely on the Atlanta region for literally everything to put on the club race including money, people, know-how, equipment, etc. We are taking over as much as we can and gathering as much knowledge (thanks to TVR), equipment, and know-how (thanks SEDIV) to put on a successful race and do it ourselves.
              Mark K
              1989 BMW 325i
              1990 BMW 325i
              2013 BMW 135i

Comment

Thanks Mark. I was always under the impression the scales we used at barber were a traveling set owned by SEDiv.
                John W8
                CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

We are also looking at hosting a SEdiv autocross competition this year, still in the works, but a possibility. As well as looking at the possibility of larger autocross competitions in the future. Having scales and all of the pieces make our region even more of a draw.
                  John Kilgore...if winning was easy, losers would do it.
                  Team9Racing BMW 325i, Old Faithful (with a little evil)

Comment

Originally posted by e30Racer View Post
                    We have had many people ask over a couple years where weight and corner weight services can be found. Many of the local businesses charge an arm and a leg for the service because there are very few who actually offer the service. By our estimates, we can pay off the scales within 1-2 years and then everything after that can be put away for a rainy day.

Also, since we are now relying on ourselves to put on the barber club race, we need scales for tech and impound. In years past we have had to rely on the Atlanta region for literally everything to put on the club race including money, people, know-how, equipment, etc. We are taking over as much as we can and gathering as much knowledge (thanks to TVR), equipment, and know-how (thanks SEDIV) to put on a successful race and do it ourselves.
                    Good service to offer for members. 13 corner weights would pay off a set of scales unless you guys went super nice.
                    Rusty Spray
                    '91 Camaro RS -- Sold

Comment

Its difficult to corner weight with just scales. They must be level, first and foremost. You need slip plates and roll off scale pads so suspension can settle after adjustments are made. The quickest you are going to do one is about an hour on a car that is close. For first time setups, figure 2 to 4 hours. Good luck.

Comment

At $20 you'll get lots of folks that will want to just roll across to see where their car is at.

I know for a fact that the SEDIV Solo program has a set of scales. Where they are now - who knows.
                        Charles
                        TAC/TVR

Comment

The scale used at the previous barber event, might have been the SEDiv scale. It was just one long scale, you rolled the front of the car on, wrote down the weight, rolled the rear on, wrote it down, then took the average.

Our setup will allow you to roll straight on and off, and will give you an accurate weight in a matter of seconds. We also have the ability to roll the car back off the scales without having to push it back up ramps, to settle suspension bits, even though the scale manufacturer suggests rocking the car back and forth/up and down on the scales as an alternative.

Plus, being wireless, and weighing 20lbs or so, we can easily adjust for different sized cars.

Having them in the club, as John said, gives us more pull for people coming out to events. Plenty of people are willing to pay a small fee to see how heavy their car is, and a slightly higher fee to get a proper corner weighting. And having them readily available for club race/TT events is also a huge pain relief and makes the logistics a lot easier.

We're not going into the business of corner weighting, we're just trying to offer more to our members and the community that sustains us. Afterall, we are a club that exists to benefit our membership.
                          M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cholewa View Post
                            Afterall, we are a club that exists to benefit our membership.
                            Agreed.
                            Charles
                            TAC/TVR

Comment

I will want to take advantage of this service
                              See you at a future auto cross
                              Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X