No announcement yet.

PDX Instructors at AMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed. NASA tends to have two race groups, SCCA has as many as possible.

I wonder if its possible to run an SCCA event the way NASA does, having lets say three or four race groups, PDX and TT? There might be something in the SCCA rules about doing it that way.

Then again does SCCA even need PDX? Let the other groups do the HPDE and just focus on TT and head to head racing. Its not like there is a shortage of HPDE type events.
    Brett W
    Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
    Fusion Works

Comment

Would that be a restricted regional race?
      John W8
      CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Interesting question.
        Brett W
        Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
        Fusion Works

Comment

It's a little hard to cram 145 cars into three or four race groups.
          Delanie Calhoun
          '90 Spec Miata
          '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

At a Restricted Regional you could specify what race groups you wanted to invite. Like Spec Miata and Spec Racer Fords. That would leave alot of time in a schedule to run TT groups as well as PDX groups. Of course you'd piss off someone by excluding them and it would'nt be a points event for the road racers which would limit attendance. I think that's how that works.
            John W8
            CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

NASA manages to get that many racers/HPDE/TT folks through in a weekend.

Again why not a "restricted regional" with TT? Leave the PDX off or combine that in another weekend?

Does SCCA really need PDX? With 100+ other organizations killing SCCA in HPDEs, why not just form a partnership with some of those organizations. They could use SCCA racers as instructors and SCCA could market to their members. The HPDE group could feed all of their drivers, who are interested in TT/Roadracing, into SCCA. Let the groups specialize in what they are best at doing.

Maybe figure out a way to run three day weekend events and split the weekend with one bunch or the other. So lets say Friday and Sat you run TT and groups 1-3. Sat and Sunday you HPDE and race groups 4-6? Or something like that?
              Brett W
              Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
              Fusion Works

Comment

NASA does not run Formula cars so there is a couple of race and TT/HPDE groups not needed. Makes the scheduling easier.

NASA's methodology of classing cars is decidedly different from SCCA's. I am not sure what is better.

AMP had a couple of issues for TT. First is the cost of renting the track. SCCA is underwriting the cost of the Targa event which is something the Region does not have available to it. Second is the sound levels and the way they were implemented. The track has never been certified for SCCA Road Racing.
                Craig Farr
                Stohr WF1 P2

Comment

I don't think it will pass certification for SCCA road racing. I know Chump, Lemons, and WRL run there, but they limit the number of cars.
                  Brett W
                  Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
                  Fusion Works

Comment

I ran the Chump race at AMP last year. They don't "limit the cars" enough and after about 15 minutes on track I decided I would never go back for w2w racing.

The Targa TT there was fun. We left at lunch & the rest of the day was the Atlanta Region PDX.
                    Rod H
                    Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

I was there for the PDX, had about 70 people and no real issues other than not enough staff.
                      Brett W
                      Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
                      Fusion Works

Comment

It looked like a good turnout. I'm sure it was fine. Small groups & controlled passing go a long way. It's a very nice TT/DE facility. I just don't plan to do another endurance race there.
                        Rod H
                        Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

There was huge turn out. Someone didn't plan for that many people. Nobody destroyed anything or anyone so I count that a success. LOL
                          Brett W
                          Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
                          Fusion Works

Comment

Working...
                          X