PDX Instructors at AMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDX Instructors at AMP

Just wanted to pass along an email I received from Atl SCCA. They are looking for instructors for a PDX this weekend, Aug 12, 2017 at Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Here's the email:

We are in need of some instructors for our PDX at Atlanta Motorsports Park this coming weekend. If you are willing to come out and share some knowledge with a brand new enthusiast, the Atlanta Region would like to offer you a free entry for the PDX.

Atlanta Motorsports Park is a very tight and technical track with very low top speeds relative to other tracks such as Road Atlanta or Virginia International Raceway. AMP is a great facility to instruct at for the first time if you have never had the opportunity before.

All participants in the PDX must be an SCCA member and this can be accomplished with our $20 weekend membership available at the event or online. Guests are always welcome and are admitted for no charge nor is membership required.

The link for registration and the event schedule can be found here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
    Mark K
    1989 BMW 325i
    1990 BMW 325i
    2013 BMW 135i

If anybody has questions for AJ Schramm, the competition director for Atlanta Region, PM me and I'll get you his email address.

Otherwise, register at this link - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...-racing-055921
    Chuck Schultz
    Another black(ish) Miata
    2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit

http://csgoodphotos.com or http://art.csgoodphotos.com

Comment

If only there were some sort of event they could run in conjunction with the PDX to attract more experienced drivers to be instructors... Maybe something where they could compete for best lap time, like some sort of "Time Trial" perhaps.
      Delanie Calhoun
      '90 Spec Miata
      '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

They are having the Targa event there this weekend. That's sorta like a time trial event.
        John W8
        CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Many of the folks running in PDX as instructors are either already racers or have no interest in racing. The simply want to drive their street cars on track and maybe help others learn to do the same thing.
          Brett W
          Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
          Fusion Works

Comment

All of our instructors at TGPR are TTers. I just don't see why Atlanta region never does a real Time Trial....
            Delanie Calhoun
            '90 Spec Miata
            '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by DelanieC View Post
              All of our instructors at TGPR are TTers. I just don't see why Atlanta region never does a real Time Trial....
              They tried a few times at Road Atlanta and very few of us showed up. If time trialers don't show up, the regions can't keep a spot for you.
              John W8
              CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Originally posted by JohnW8 View Post
                They tried a few times at Road Atlanta and very few of us showed up. If time trialers don't show up, the regions can't keep a spot for you.
                Of course, but a PDX/TT at AMP would be perfect... It seems like most TTers aren't inclined to go to events at big tracks in conjunction with road races like Barber and Road Atlanta. Not sure why...
                Delanie Calhoun
                '90 Spec Miata
                '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I think splitting track time with RoadRacers who are practicing at Barber put of the Time Trialers. The TT groups were TT groups only at Road Atlanta and still they had lousy participation. Road Atlanta is a scary place is all I can figure there. I'd love to do a TT at AMP but it's kinda pricey is it not?
                  John W8
                  CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

AMP also has sound regs that may or may not be attainable by some race cars.

Its only SCCA TTers that won't go to big tracks. The NASA TT folks only run the big tracks. RA, Barber, NOLA, etc. Its an SCCA problem. I don't know what it is, but there is a reason the TT at RD Atlanta failed miserably year after year.
                    Brett W
                    Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
                    Fusion Works

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion Works View Post
                      AMP also has sound regs that may or may not be attainable by some race cars.

Its only SCCA TTers that won't go to big tracks. The NASA TT folks only run the big tracks. RA, Barber, NOLA, etc. Its an SCCA problem. I don't know what it is, but there is a reason the TT at RD Atlanta failed miserably year after year.
                      NASA events are all the same format (all are Race/TT/HPDE) and only have 2-3 race groups so the TT group is naturally larger for them. They also only run the big tracks and quickly kill events they lose interest in, such as NASA-SE pulling out of Barber several years ago, because they have no "obligation" to continue traditional events/locations. NASA would still be gone from Barber if the Memphis guys had not formed their Mid-South region.
                      Rod H
                      Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Much of NASA's behavior has to do with its profit motive. They have to make a profit to stay alive. SCCA is different. Obviously SCCA can only lose money for so long, hence the death of the RD Atlanta event.
                        Brett W
                        Fusion Works

Follow us on Facebook
                        Fusion Works

Comment

From a TT perspective NASA has an advantage of a consistent offering. SCCA is club race focused so adding TT to a weekend can be a challenge. NASA is really more TT focused than anything else.
                          Rod H

Comment

NASA puts on HPDE/TT events with additional Racing. SCCA is Club racing with TT squeezed in and no room left for PDX.
                            John W8
                            CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Originally posted by JohnW8 View Post
                              NASA puts on HPDE/TT events with additional Racing. SCCA is Club racing with TT squeezed in and no room left for PDX.

That's what I was trying to say
                              Rod H

Comment

Working...
                              X