Factory / Port Installed vs dealer installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory / Port Installed vs dealer installed

I believe I know the difference but have a question regarding when these were available. If a car is a domestic car the parts have to be factory installed, ie before they arrive at the dealer to be a legal upgrade in a stock class, or port installed as the TRD springs / sways on the FRS.

Does it matter which year the parts became an option to be factory or port installed versus the year of the car? This is for the cars are all listed on the same line in the rule book.

So if you've got a 2013 car and the the parts were dealer options then but became factory options in 2014 is it legal to convert the 2013 car?

What do you people think?
    - Jerry Ledford
    '16 Ram 2500 Big Horn - daily driver / tow vehicle

Unless something has changed, no. At least for street. My '05 Elise had the exact supercharger that was offered as a factory option in 2010 or 2011. It even had the newer model's OEM bone stock ECU. Didn't matter, straight to SSM.
    Steve Saunders
    '18 BMW M2
    BS 72

Comment

Thanks Steve, good to know!

It's not like my Sonic would be competitive but GM offers a shock/spring combo that I'd like to put on and still run HS on occasion if I don't find another car before next season. After all the talk about the port installed FRS TRD springs/sways I didn't know if that was always an option or something Toyota added after a year or two of production. If it was added after and legal for all FRS cars I was hoping the same was true for the Sonic.
      - Jerry Ledford

Comment

Originally posted by jledford View Post
        Thanks Steve, good to know!

It's not like my Sonic would be competitive but GM offers a shock/spring combo that I'd like to put on and still run HS on occasion if I don't find another car before next season. After all the talk about the port installed FRS TRD springs/sways I didn't know if that was always an option or something Toyota added after a year or two of production. If it was added after and legal for all FRS cars I was hoping the same was true for the Sonic.
        I assume the TRD stuff was available all along. SCCA issued a specific decision clarifying the legality of using it on all years.

I agree with Steve and think what you suggest isn't legal for HS.
        Rod H
        Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Gotcha, it's not too expensive so maybe I'll just get the shocks. They're basically the shocks that come on the RS model and really the only upgrade for the car.
          - Jerry Ledford

Comment

Why not just get konis or something? Or is there much aftermarket support?
            Rod H

Comment

No konis or I'd probably already have them. About the only aftermarket with different shocks are the cheap coil overs like BC. Eibach and H&R both make springs but no shocks.

I'm not sure I'll actually be racing it much next year but thought I'd start digging into it just in case. I might see if I can just buy some tires for Heath and co-drive with him in ES
              - Jerry Ledford

Comment

Looked like you were having fun at the last event. I started to think we should all get HS cars for 2016...No duplicates allowed
                Rod H

Comment

Brandi's got the Altima...... but I'd rather drive the M3
                  Jeremiah Hodgins
                  99 BMW M3
                  Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                  Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Comment

I'm good with all HS cars... as long as no one buys a Mini or Fiesta ST. Let's keep it to all the other HS cars, there's a nice '91 Toyota Supra (non-turbo) on craigslist, it's HS if someone needs a car.
                    - Jerry Ledford

Comment

It seems the '04 to '06 Sentra SE-R Spec V is getting some love on another forum about being a possible HS contender. It has a true LSD, 17x7 wheels, light weight, etc, almost on par with the Fiesta ST. They still bring a bit of a premium over KBB values but if you could find a no sunroof, no brembo model it could be fun. Koni yellows are still available as are sway bars, then just get some lightweight wheels and call it a day.

If I didn't have to have a newer car for work I would more seriously consider one of these, not that I haven't arleady been looking. It could be fun to run HS for a year just for giggles.
                      - Jerry Ledford

Comment

It’s been a while since this thread was replied to but I have a question. The 2017 Honda Accord V6 Manual Coupe had an option for the “Honda Factory Performace” Package; which included: Red HFP Badged floor mats, a couple HFP badges on the outside, a body kit with larger spoiler, 19-inch wheels, and lowered suspension. I am specifically interested in the HFP coilovers, but would I need to complete make my car HFP clone to be able to use them? I kinda wish it was HFP because they only made 500 of them, but I haven’t seen one for sale ever.
                        Eli Burchell
                        1994 Mazda Miata STR 33
                        2017 Honda Accord V6 6MT STX 33

https://www.instagram.com/205.ct2/

Comment

Unless the rules changes in the five year interim I don’t that HFP stuff isn’t legal is Street category. If it is, yes, you have to do a complete package conversion. Key pieces of that would be the coilovers of course, but you also have to match that wheel size. Since Street allows a +/- 1” wheel diameter change you will need 18s in the same width as the HFP wheel.

Personally, if you just want coilovers, I would recommend against the HFP stuff just because there are likely better (& cheaper) choices and then just run whatever ST class allows the Accord. If you want stay in Street class then just get Konis and a bigger rear sway bar. The V6 Accord is a fun dark horse choice for HS.

And if you’re really new to autocross my recommendation is better tires, maybe a rear swaybar, and get more experience to be sure you want to develop the Accord any further.

I’ll be in Barber this weekend in my blue IS300 if you’d like to talk about the options.
                          Rod H

Comment

Thanks for the input. I wasn’t planning on doing this anytime soon and I definitely would’ve done tires and sway bar before doing the HFP kit. I’ll see you this weekend!
                            Eli Burchell
                            1994 Mazda Miata STR 33
                            2017 Honda Accord V6 6MT STX 33

https://www.instagram.com/205.ct2/

Comment

Working...
                            X