X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pts 1 2023 photos and videos HERE!

Here are our runs from Saturday.

https://youtu.be/-nBgwJIunJg

It was never really dry, but occasionally one run would be a little dryer than the previous one, and then it would rain some more.

Congrats to James Mitchell for getting the triple crown.
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    22 Hyundai Veloster N (Sometimes)
    (Your car here?)

If at first you don't succeed, you probably put it in the ditch.

This was our first event and we loved every second of it. Sure, would have loved to have some better weather, but my son had a blast and improved with each run, Even had a pretty nice save on his last run too. Not bad for only having his license for a month.

https://youtu.be/Ar7pL7TYcQ0

Comment

Originally posted by Lebischak View Post
      This was our first event and we loved every second of it. Sure, would have loved to have some better weather, but my son had a blast and improved with each run, Even had a pretty nice save on his last run too. Not bad for only having his license for a month.

https://youtu.be/Ar7pL7TYcQ0
      I'm glad y'all had a great time out!

The rain can plague the higher HP rear wheel drive cars like that one a bit worse than the front wheel drive cars, and Miatas.

He did good getting off the throttle and counter steering in time. It can be tricky to catch a car once the grip lets go.

He did very good, and his improvement from 83 seconds to 65 seconds on his best run was great to see!

One benefit to the rain is that he now knows what the limit of his car is on a rainy surface, and it should make him a safer driver on public roads, even in inclement conditions. If I know anything about Alabama is that it is gonna be hot, and it's gonna RAIN.

I hope to see y'all back out!
      Nick Lindsay
      16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
      06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
      (Your car here?)

Comment

Here's my best run which was my last. I had some sand bagging pointers from a recent event. (just kidding). Thank to my passenger, your an great encourager!

Comment

Originally posted by nickrd10bk View Post

I'm glad y'all had a great time out!

The rain can plague the higher HP rear wheel drive cars like that one a bit worse than the front wheel drive cars, and Miatas.

He did good getting off the throttle and counter steering in time. It can be tricky to catch a car once the grip lets go.

He did very good, and his improvement from 83 seconds to 65 seconds on his best run was great to see!

One benefit to the rain is that he now knows what the limit of his car is on a rainy surface, and it should make him a safer driver on public roads, even in inclement conditions. If I know anything about Alabama is that it is gonna be hot, and it's gonna RAIN.

I hope to see y'all back out!
          Down to 65 seconds? That's an huge improvement. Two of my runs was in 60 & 63 second range. Good Job.

Comment

Definitely was on the struggle bus in terms of traction in the Mustang. I was hoping for it to dry up in the afternoon so I could get a feel for my new suspension set up with extra camber but that didn't happen unfortunately. Still had a great time knocking the rust off though and proud of myself for keeping it out of the grass lol.

My 61.089. For some reason my GoPro likes to corrupt my best runs so excuse the glitchiness.

Last edited by johnsonwl1; 02-28-2023, 09:37 PM.
            Les Johnson
            2014 Mustang GT CAMC #544

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonwl1 View Post
              Definitely was on the struggle bus in terms of traction in the Mustang. I was hoping for it to dry up in the afternoon so I could get a feel for my new suspension set up with extra camber but that didn't happen unfortunately. Still had a great time knocking the rust off though and proud of myself for keeping it out of the grass lol.

My 61.089. For some reason my GoPro likes to corrupt my best runs so excuse the glitchiness.

Yeah, I was really hoping it would dry out. The weather said it wasn't gonna rain at all. Then it was gonna clear up after lunch.

We all know how it ended up.

Thanks for sharing! That's pretty good drivin'. That was an extremely challenging course for a Mustang. You kept the egg under the gas pedal, and you didn't get late for any of the elements. That's smart driving!

At 0:33, aside from the wheelspin you got prior, you seem to try and widen up that turn a bit.

I saw both ways tried by folks, and wondered which way to do that turn was fastest.

My best two laps, (arguably dryest) I tried a wider entry, and a tighter entry.

Screenshot_20230228-213557_RaceChrono Pro.jpg

The grayed line was from my best run, and the tighter entry (apex'd early? If you will..) It made me wide on the following turn, of course, but I maintained a higher speed doing this. I had plenty of time to put the car back into position before the next element.

This net me a -0.2 second time difference on my best run in that sequence of turns alone. It would be hard to say if that technique is always THAT much faster with the wet conditions we faced. But, I believe it to be the faster way to take that turn period, and would be good for at least 1/10 a second on a dry day at least.

I just want to make note of that, as my fiancé kept wanting to track out for that turn, and I saw many other people do it. It feels natural to want to do that I think, because it makes the next turn straighter. I think the wider entry adds too much distance, with no significant speed gain. However, it feels natural to want to straighten out the turn a bit, and it felt weird when I would just stay tight and "apex early".

This is just one way data can benefit our driving. We can look at what naturally feels faster vs what is ACTUALLY faster.

Nick Lindsay
              16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
              06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
              (Your car here?)

Comment

Funny enough, that was probably the tightest I took that entry all day for that corner at 0:33, all due to the wheelspin I had lol. All my other runs I went for the wide entry to get as much speed as possible through there but my car was ever so slightly understeering when making that right turn transition. It made me a little late on the throttle on corner exit since I was trying to not push into the grass. The tighter line may have helped with that by looking at your grayed line. Looks like it would set you up better for the 180 on the concrete patch too.

I really need to get an external GPS so I can track data like that. I just take a quick glimpse at my run through video and see if I can tell what I could do better. Eye-balling it is definitely not the most efficient way to find time haha.
                Les Johnson
                2014 Mustang GT CAMC #544

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonwl1 View Post
                  Funny enough, that was probably the tightest I took that entry all day for that corner at 0:33, all due to the wheelspin I had lol. All my other runs I went for the wide entry to get as much speed as possible through there but my car was ever so slightly understeering when making that right turn transition. It made me a little late on the throttle on corner exit since I was trying to not push into the grass. The tighter line may have helped with that by looking at your grayed line. Looks like it would set you up better for the 180 on the concrete patch too.

I really need to get an external GPS so I can track data like that. I just take a quick glimpse at my run through video and see if I can tell what I could do better. Eye-balling it is definitely not the most efficient way to find time haha.
                  Your driving looked good! There were a few aggressive inputs, but the car does not have the transient response of a stiffly sprung Miata, so sometimes that just happens. (I used to run F Street and know the pain.) I think you're ready to collect data and compare what made your runs better than others.

You can get the Racebox Mini > $200 and Racechrono for your phone for around $20, and that's what we mostly use.

You can link your video with the data overlay on Racechrono, also. This helps to see if you were trying to make the car work, and it didn't vs you just not giving the car the correct input. Etc..

In regard to that said turn, you probably wouldn't lose the day on the decision to enter wide, but it's giving time up.

Respectfully, James also went wide on that turn and lost a little bit of time. However, the rest of his run was so good, he still snatched the top PAX. Lol
                  Nick Lindsay
                  16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
                  06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
                  (Your car here?)

Comment

Kim Bailey uploaded her shots from Saturday if anybody wants to check them out!

https://kimbaileyphotography.client-...ross-2-25-2023

There are some awesome shots with fog in the background.
                    Nick Lindsay
                    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
                    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
                    (Your car here?)

Comment

Working...
                    X