TrackSprint Interest???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackSprint Interest???

Kinda a wild idea I have bouncing around in my head...

Autocross but higher speeds and on a Track? TrackCross?

TrackSprint is an available program we could try out that would feature us running a portion of the racetrack (Maybe in a reverse configuration) and set up cones and compete for the best time like in the autocross events. Two seperate sections of the track could be set up and use a two course "best run" accumulative time score like a 2 day national tour event.

Obviously, being confined to the width of the track, this won't allow us to do any traditional autocross elements, but it would allow for some higher speed elements that we can't similate much in our current site.

TGPR would be a great place to try this out at.

There is even an option to do a "Time Attack/Track Sprint" event that would feature a demand for the fastest lap (time trial), and then the fastest run on the different "Track Sprint" layout would then be added to the lap time for scoring. This would be a great way for the Autocross folks to segway into the track expereince whilst using their adapability for some "even" footing.

This is me simply gauging interest in something like this.

Let me know what you think!
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    22 Hyundai Veloster N (Sometimes)
    (Your car here?)

If at first you don't succeed, you probably put it in the ditch.

I’m down for that. Probably be mostly off sets and slaloms. But I need work in the slalom arena anyway. Might be able to throw a Chicago box in somewhere as well.

Comment

I'm in if we could do it on Saturdays.

Comment

We held a couple of similar events at TGPR a few years ago, before they were called tracksprints. One lesson learned is you want VERY few cones on course due to worker coverage. Plus at higher speeds many autocrossy elements are simply dangerous. We did some slaloms on the straights to keep speeds down a bit and few, if any, cones in the turns or the tight section from T2 through to the back straight. We had grid & the trailer on the track itself on the front straight so start was going into T1 and finish was just after the kink coming on the front straight.
        Rod H
        Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Doesn’t TT nats run 2 half track sections like an autocross on one of the days? I don’t think they use any cones though, just the standing start we use.

Comment

I remember the ones Rod mentioned and they were a blast. I would be game to do this! (Just a head’s up that TGPR is like a cheese-grater for your tires though, if they haven’t repaved it since we did that).
            Chris Chatta
            '07 Mazda MX-5, Sunlight Silver
            STR 66

Comment

Originally posted by rodhx View Post
              We held a couple of similar events at TGPR a few years ago, before they were called tracksprints. One lesson learned is you want VERY few cones on course due to worker coverage. Plus at higher speeds many autocrossy elements are simply dangerous. We did some slaloms on the straights to keep speeds down a bit and few, if any, cones in the turns or the tight section from T2 through to the back straight. We had grid & the trailer on the track itself on the front straight so start was going into T1 and finish was just after the kink coming on the front straight.
              Yes, as Justin mentioned, the few likely elements we'd be able to add would be slaloms and offsets.

As the cones are concerned, this will take great consideration. I wouldn't want a sea of cones for the lack of workers spread over the track (as you mentioned), but also the speeds being greater would mean the workers would have to be futher from the course. The section beyond turn 2 shouldn't need much to break up the flow, as that can already be a tricky section to nail but the straights will need a little something.
              Nick Lindsay
              16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
              06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
              (Your car here?)

Comment

Originally posted by ryan t View Post
                Doesn’t TT nats run 2 half track sections like an autocross on one of the days? I don’t think they use any cones though, just the standing start we use.
                I thought Time Trials Nats was just running with your group and gunning for that fastest lap. I didn't think they did any section shenanigans. I could be wrong though.

When researching TrackSprint, it seemed they take the first portion of the event to run fastest laps on the full track, and then run a section of the track, (usually inverted) and giving limited runs to get that sweet time in. That format seems interesting to me.

What would be your preference of event format?
                Nick Lindsay
                16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
                06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
                (Your car here?)

Comment

Originally posted by ryan t View Post
                  Yes, TT Nats has included a sprint event. Pretty sure it’s just A to B on the track with no cone features.

The worker burden is huge if very many cones are used and the track is narrow so it’s easy to make it more risky in an attempt at “safety”. Slaloms on the straights were a bit faster than an autocross so longer spacing such that a worker could only cover 1 or 2 cones.

Just something to keep in mind. Turnout on those two were much lower than a typical autocross so i wouldn’t design a course thinking there would 25+ corner workers. Gotta have a significant time gap between cars as well of course.
                  Last edited by rodhx; 04-29-2024, 08:22 PM.
                  Rod H
                  Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Originally posted by rodhx View Post

Yes, TT Nats has included a sprint event. Pretty sure it’s just A to B on the track with no cone features.

The worker burden is huge if very many cones are used and the track is narrow so it’s easy to make it more risky in an attempt at “safety”. Slaloms on the straights were a bit faster than an autocross so longer spacing such that a worker could only cover 1 or 2 cones.

Just something to keep in mind. Turnout on those two were much lower than a typical autocross so i wouldn’t design a course thinking there would 25+ corner workers. Gotta have a significant time gap between cars as well of course.
                    Some of what I've reviewed (Thanks to Ryan) seems to have very little cones present past the start and finish lights. I think our first event would likely spare the cones just so everyone could learn the format.

Rod, would you happen to have an idea of how the classing structure should be? I've seen some regions run "PAX" at TrackSprint events, but I'm not sure how well that would run.
                    Nick Lindsay
                    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
                    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
                    (Your car here?)

Comment

TT Nats does this in addition to just fastest lap over several sessions. Autocrossers seem to like it, road racers seem to not like it.
                      It would be something to do in addition to some open sessions as an HPDE/TT day because the costs to rent the track make this VERY expensive without a ton of participants compared to an autocross.
                      TGPR while some has been repaved, it’s still super tough on tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 256Chilipepper View Post
                        TT Nats does this in addition to just fastest lap over several sessions. Autocrossers seem to like it, road racers seem to not like it.
                        It would be something to do in addition to some open sessions as an HPDE/TT day because the costs to rent the track make this VERY expensive without a ton of participants compared to an autocross.
                        TGPR while some has been repaved, it’s still super tough on tires.
                        I think we could pull a decent turnout, but I think you're right. An HPDE session in the morning would be a great primer for folks prior to the TrackSprint later on. This likely means we would have to rent the track out for a day and those costs would need to be assessed over the participation as well as pricing for participants.

What do you think about classing structure? Do we follow national TT classes?
                        Nick Lindsay
                        16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
                        06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
                        (Your car here?)

Comment

Working...
                        X