Time Trials at Midpond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Trials at Midpond?

I saw on Facebook that ALSCCA approved “something” at Midpond and heard a rumor that Midpond was working on getting time trials set up there. Any truth to that?
    Ritamarie Thomason - 13 DSP
    1996 Mazda Miata (white/red)

That FB post took me by surprise. Don't expect a full TT there. The facility simply isn't suitable. We have talked about trying a trackcross-type event there so my best guess is that's what this is about.
    Rod H
    Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

For it to be used for Track cross, doesn't the Divisional Safety Steward have to approve it?
      Kinda wondering what "approved by ALSCCA" means.
      John W8
      CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

I read "approved by ALSCCA" as track owner exaggeration.
        Rod H

Comment

Midpond reminds me of the kart track near Nashville that we used to autocross at. Turns are tight and if you go off in a couple of places, it might not be a good thing. Think brakes failing on the last left turn CCW.

If it were used for a TT or TE, it would probably have to be autocross style. Maybe the old style 3 hot laps and only 2-3 cars on track at a time could be done. Does not appear to be any safe passing space so timed sessions with multiple cars on track would not work. It is only about 1/3 the length of TGPR, so times of 30 sec might be the norm.

A Track Safety Steward would have to walk it to determine if any real safety issues exist but it appears suitable.
          Craig Farr
          Stohr WF1 P2

Comment

Originally posted by JohnW8 View Post
            For it to be used for Track cross, doesn't the Divisional Safety Steward have to approve it?.
            With the new TT rules, I am not sure how tracks are approved. It was a huge discussion within the old TTAC due to the interfacing with the Road Race track approvers.
            Craig Farr
            Stohr WF1 P2

Comment

I walked it with the mindset of a SSS, and it seemed doable for solo, but just barely. There were a couple trees that were just inside the minimum distances but on the inside of turns where it shouldn't be an issue. For TT it would definitely need to be a limited number of cars on track with point to point timing.

I think the biggest issue I saw was the lack of space for both parking and grid. We would have to limit attendees I think, and then we would need much higher entry prices to make it affordable to us.
              Last edited by nicktcr; 03-09-2019, 02:15 PM.
              Nick Stone

Comment

I agree Nick...the very limited grid/paddock space is the biggest issue with MidPond.
                Rod H

Comment

I didn't see this thread earlier, or I'd have commented and saved y'all the speculation.

The site will NOT be used for TT.

The "approved by ALSCCA" headline was indeed built to grab attention. Think of it as puffery (my favorite marketing term).

I have obtained Divisional Safety's signoff on a plan to use Midpond.

Entrants will be limited due to small space for paddock/grid.

We also have an arrangement that handles the cost issue, but the speculation that entry fees will be higher is correct.
                  Last edited by Cameron Hall; 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM.
                  2001 Green Miata
                  2007 Black Miata
                  29 XSB
                  I part out Miatas @ theMiataFix.com

Comment

The event will be called TrackCross. Should have an official announcement with all details ironed out this week.
                    2001 Green Miata
                    2007 Black Miata
                    29 XSB

Comment

I had a great time at the first trackcross & am looking forward to the next. Hope to be able to make it to TGP at first of month for novice training. Thank you.

Comment

I had fun too. Grey miata

Comment

There will be another event at Midpond this Summer.
                          2001 Green Miata
                          2007 Black Miata
                          29 XSB

Comment

Mid Pond trackcross

Excellent. I am looking forward to doing again. Things aren't looking promising for making TTGP @ end of month due to $. Hope you will have either another open day or novice school\ training in near future. Keeping my eye on schedule. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by RTRHED View Post
                              Excellent. I am looking forward to doing again. Things aren't looking promising for making TTGP @ end of month due to $. Hope you will have either another open day or novice school\ training in near future. Keeping my eye on schedule. Thank you.
                              We are not holding an event at TGPR until our Fall Time Trial in October. The event you're talking about must be someone else.
                              Rod H

Comment

Working...
                              X