ALSCCA Pts 5 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSCCA Pts 5 2023

We had an incredibly challenging event this past Sundsay (July 30, 2023) and I am unsure if these results should be considered in seasonal points.

Our morning runs heat one went well (for the most part) with the exception of only having 3 runs before switching groups. Heat 2 had several timing issues that were hardware based. Whilst managing heat two, a storm blew up and the winds blew our timing lights around causing more reruns. At this point quiet hour was upon us and we had to have a hard stop to the event.
    During this period the rain would start to fall pretty heavily off and on as well as numerous lightning strikes near the site causing lightning delays until 1:30pm. Once the lightning delays had been been lifted an inspection of the site saw many cones blown around as well as all of the chalk being washed away. (If I had known there was a chance of rain I would've waxed the cones in rather than use the chalk. I now know that no matter what the forecast says in the summer we will be using wax around the cones.)
    After taking a head count of the remaining participants who stuck around (Thank You!) it was determined that we would not have enough workers to operate the event in the manner as it had been.

I asked the remaining drivers to vote on two options:
    1.) We take 20 minutes and all go walk the course together to place the cones back where we think they belonged and chalk the course again. We then throw out the morning (Dry Results) as not everyone were able to get morning runs with the timing issues we had, and now the course would have likely changed to benefit times in the later part of the day if conditions dried out completely. (And it did by the end.) Now the results would have impacted the first run group negatively with the wet conditions.
    2.) Split remaining drivers in half, and one group work while the other group drives and do a test n tune and fun run event going forward and corner workers would reset cones and work the flags.

The vote was unanimous in favor of option 2.)

I would have liked to try and continue the competitive event but I was aware of the challenges presented with that option. The reception of option 2.) was well recieved by particpants and I think things went forward as well as they could have. Some folks requested ridealongs for pointers from other drivers and the remaining drivers got around 11 runs in the afternoon alone.

I personally don't think using these results in regard to season points will be ideal, but I'm open to your feedback below.

***Update***
    These results will not be factored in season points.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nickrd10bk; 10-30-2023, 10:01 PM.
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    22 Hyundai Veloster N (Sometimes)
    (Your car here?)

If at first you don't succeed, you probably put it in the ditch.

Yea I can agree with you about not using those times towards the championship. I do appreciate the club working with me on being able to get done early for myself. Sorry it didn’t work out for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin07 View Post
      Yea I can agree with you about not using those times towards the championship. I do appreciate the club working with me on being able to get done early for myself. Sorry it didn’t work out for everyone else.
      Apparently you had the weather all figured out, and you didn't even know it. HA!
      Nick Lindsay
      16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
      06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
      (Your car here?)

Comment

I agree, as well. I believe the criteria going forward whether to count an event in the season’s competition should be whether or not the event was x% competition. We can discuss what percentage that should be (50, 60, 75%?). This one was less than 50% competition, so toss the results. I think the bare minimum should be 50%.
        Joshua Toxey
        Veloster N #51

Comment

After reading thru some feedback I think I'm going to make a few changes with results going forward. I'll update the championship points soon, and I will include the new "eligibility rules" with that update.

I REALLY do appreciate everyone who stuck it out and salvaged what was left of our time on the proving grounds.

I've updated the original post to have the PAX and Final Class results for the day.

Andrew Fleming had the top PAX time during the morning but unfortunately the results can't be used on the season points.
          Last edited by nickrd10bk; 08-06-2023, 02:53 AM.
          Nick Lindsay
          16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
          06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
          (Your car here?)

Comment

Few suggestion: 1. Maybe set a time limit on lightning delays to 1 hour as a baseline. If radar looks like it may clear soon, go a little longer. 2. During the storm communication with Pa system is not very effective with drivers seeking shelter. Is text message an option to help keep drivers more informed of pending instructions? Tac recently had an event where the most of the first run group, on their first runs was dry. Rain came in so for everyone else their runs was raining or very wet. Several drivers did well enough in their first runs to smoke the rest in the wet, which kinda throwed a monkey wrench in the results. Should the first run for everyone been kick out in the name of fairness? I would say no. Weather is an variable factor for all forms for auto sports so let it work out on track. This is where drops in season events help to make things more fair over-all. Alscca & Tav/Tvr both do a great job at putting on these events & it is appreciated by us gearheads!

Comment

Originally posted by James M. View Post
              Few suggestion: 1. Maybe set a time limit on lightning delays to 1 hour as a baseline. If radar looks like it may clear soon, go a little longer. 2. During the storm communication with Pa system is not very effective with drivers seeking shelter. Is text message an option to help keep drivers more informed of pending instructions? Tac recently had an event where the most of the first run group, on their first runs was dry. Rain came in so for everyone else their runs was raining or very wet. Several drivers did well enough in their first runs to smoke the rest in the wet, which kinda throwed a monkey wrench in the results. Should the first run for everyone been kick out in the name of fairness? I would say no. Weather is an variable factor for all forms for auto sports so let it work out on track. This is where drops in season events help to make things more fair over-all. Alscca & Tav/Tvr both do a great job at putting on these events & it is appreciated by us gearheads!
              Thanks for leaving your thoughts, James!

The SCCA time limit is 30 minutes after a lightning strike is within a 7 miles of the site. We were on quiet hour for awhile but when the lightning came, it just kept coming and we kept having to delay the start.

Text messages (while effective) cost the club money on MSR. I'm not sure how much this value is or how to use the mass text function. I will however look into it!

Communication by PA is NOT effective if you're in a car or building. That is really good feedback I had no considered. The club has a radio transmitter that we would just need to set up. I will work towards this going forward. Communication is key. This could also benefit the club for normal days when people just want to hear their time on the radio, and ProntoTiming makes the announcer information incredibly good.

I would agree with keeping dry runs in a run group if everyone had at least 3 scored runs. Sometimes autocross is about execution and if you can execute the best run before the run, good for you!
              I however would not keep those results if not all drivers were able to score the same number of runs in that heat. Example being Brad Clem wasn't triggering the stop lights during his morning runs. (Among many others) it would not be fair to make his runs in the afternoon only count when it was very wet, and the cones on course had moved.

Which brings me to the next point and yet the biggest challenge from last weekend. The weather forecast was favorable and the course was chalked rather than waxed in. After the rain, the several key cones were misplaced and all the chalk was washed away. I cannot with fairness "line those cones back up". The later group would have undoubtedly benefitted from the cooler temps, and dry course on a course with cones being placed in different spots that could change run times drastically. This would be unfair to first morning heat drivers.

The event wasn't smooth, but the takeaways will improve the club if we make the right changes going forward. I am optimistic of the outcome.

Nick Lindsay
              16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
              06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
              (Your car here?)

Comment

Working...
              X