Prepped Miata Region Only Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepped Miata Region Only Class?

Well, this was the basic thought. It got some interested feedback, so I am creating the discussion here:

"

Obviously, our Xtreme Street class always has a healthy amount of competition. With that being said, I notice an overwhelming majority of the participants are running Miata’s that have varying levels of suspension modification, aero, wider wheels, and/or power adders (supercharger/turbo). A common factor amongst them is that they are not fully prepped for “Xtreme Street” rules. With that being said, the “PAX” becomes a handicap as it is calculated for a (hypothetically) fully prepped Xtreme Street build, like a Toyota Supra MKV with a 600whp, 335 tires, full aero, weight reduction etc. This is the type of Xtreme Street car you’d see show up to National events if it isn’t an AWD rally car that weighs 2600lbs fully loaded and has 600whp and thus the one the “PAX” is calculated for. And conversely there is nothing from stopping that hypothetical car from showing up to our event and ruling the class.

My question for the group is; would you be interested in seeing a REGION ONLY class modeled after the Miata we run so often at the local events? We could also add restrictions like the following FOR EXAMPLE:

Spec Size Tire and/or brand
    Pump Gas Only
    Limit in displacement (for those pesky swapped Miata’s)
    Forced Induction OR Unlimited Aero
    Custom Class Weight minimum with or without driver

These are JUST EXAMPLES of restrictions that could be agreed upon by the competitors for this specific class. In time, if we gathered enough data, we might even create a bit better REGION ONLY “PAX” for those cars in that class.

I know many don’t believe in “PAX”, and y’all may love things just the way they are. I am perceptive to whatever your thoughts are. I was described years ago that the XS class was mostly the Miata folks who take their cars to track days and wanted a place for the car to exist at the Solo events and carry over its modifications. It seems that the cars are in a territory beyond street touring for the most part, but shy of Street Mod and Xtreme Street, thus causing these crazy ideas to stir in my head. If this idea sucks, let me know and we can head this one off at the pass. If you think it’s worth a discussion, I can create a post on the forum for more detailed discourse going forward.

"

Well, here we are.

Please provide feedback. ALL feedback welcome!
    Last edited by nickrd10bk; 06-02-2024, 06:01 PM.
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    22 Hyundai Veloster N (Sometimes)
    (Your car here?)

If at first you don't succeed, you probably put it in the ditch.

Daniel Sanders asked about implementation deadline. To be clear, this would not altar the course of our events for the 2024 season. It would not be fair to change the rules halfway thru the season when competitors have prepared for the current ruleset.

The soonest this class could be implemented would be NEXT season. There are a few milestones that we'd need to cross before then. Mainly, there would need to be an agreed ruleset for this class.
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    (Your car here?)

Comment

As an XB Miata driver, I dont think we need this. Its interesting how no one has really done a max effort car for the class. I just like spending money on track days or time trials more than building a max effort car.
      Yeah, XB is a big group of under prepared cars. Even at national levels they arent seeing the full limit of the class yet. A softer PAX would mean more than the 2-3 XB cars would crowd the top 10 PAX. Most of the really fast street class cars could run XB and do really well without changing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 256Chilipepper View Post
        As an XB Miata driver, I dont think we need this. Its interesting how no one has really done a max effort car for the class. I just like spending money on track days or time trials more than building a max effort car.
        Yeah, XB is a big group of under prepared cars. Even at national levels they arent seeing the full limit of the class yet. A softer PAX would mean more than the 2-3 XB cars would crowd the top 10 PAX. Most of the really fast street class cars could run XB and do really well without changing anything.
        I would be fine with the "under prepared" cars seeing more top 10 PAX results if the updated PAX was to reflect the preparation level of the car. This would be a huge challenge though and still the question remains of the agreed amount of preparation amongst competitors. I think most people who will submit their ideas into this conversation realize that PAX isn't perfect and this is just an "extra" that we may could work towards in due time.

And whilst national events aren't seeing full effort XS builds as of yet, this isn't to say we can't create a custom class locally to accomodate something the locals would want and their cars are more prepared for. This is mainly an inquiry into what do the people want. One of the northern regions does a winter tire class in the winter time since their sites are often frozen over and it is super popular within their region to the point national SCCA has considered adoption of the concept. Not that I think that is a possibility, so much as think this would be a fun opportunity for the competitors at the regional level.

I am also perceptive to the possibility of not changing things, as it's not exactly broken now and we see some pretty close cars within the class, even if they aren't "fully prepared."
        Nick Lindsay
        16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
        06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
        (Your car here?)

Comment

I am in full support of this. The give-and-take idea with forced induction is great, too. Sorry Daniel.
          Eli Burchell
          1994 Mazda Miata STR 33
          2017 Honda Accord V6 6MT STX 33

https://www.instagram.com/205.ct2/

Comment

Originally posted by 256Chilipepper View Post
            No one has done a max effort car for this class for the same reason there are few cars in Unlimited classes at TT events. Max effort car prep is expensive and impractical.

It's perfectly fine in my mind if 2-3 XB (or 'prepared miata') are in the top PAX if it is proportionate to driver skill and car prep relative to the class. ALSCCA regulars like Daniel, Lyle, McNeal, and Johnny have cars that would slot perfectly into this and allow them to compete driver-to-driver with the street class folks. XB is right up there with A Mod in PAX modifier, when the cars that run it tend to be just above CSP speed-wise.

This would allow XB Miata drivers to spend money on track days and time trials, and their already-built track car could easily be a max effort "prepared Miata".

I think forced induction could use a greater restriction on wheel/tire width as well as aero, but that's just my $.02 as an N/A boy.
            Eli Burchell
            1994 Mazda Miata STR 33
            2017 Honda Accord V6 6MT STX 33

https://www.instagram.com/205.ct2/

Comment

Originally posted by Burch View Post

No one has done a max effort car for this class for the same reason there are few cars in Unlimited classes at TT events. Max effort car prep is expensive and impractical.

It's perfectly fine in my mind if 2-3 XB (or 'prepared miata') are in the top PAX if it is proportionate to driver skill and car prep relative to the class. ALSCCA regulars like Daniel, Lyle, McNeal, and Johnny have cars that would slot perfectly into this and allow them to compete driver-to-driver with the street class folks. XB is right up there with A Mod in PAX modifier, when the cars that run it tend to be just above CSP speed-wise.

This would allow XB Miata drivers to spend money on track days and time trials, and their already-built track car could easily be a max effort "prepared Miata".

I think forced induction could use a greater restriction on wheel/tire width as well as aero, but that's just my $.02 as an N/A boy.
              I think restricting tire size is gonna balance the playing field alot for light weight cars that have more power. There would need to be a lengthy discourse about how to go about making a balance between forced induction and na.
              Nick Lindsay
              16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
              06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
              (Your car here?)

Comment

Working...
              X