SCCA Membership & FS participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCCA Membership & FS participation

I had a couple of questions. First is regarding the SCCA membership. Does that run 1 year from the date of enrollment, or is it the calendar year? I don't want to pay for the membership now and then again in January.

Second question - how has participation been traditionally in FS? I'm considering actually competing (locally) next year. If it's just me or a couple of people, would I be bumped into another class?

SCCA membership runs for 1 year from your purchase. Your first purchase will come at a discount also.

FS is a class that has recently evolved to something very different, but has had a rich history, and some controversy.

FS for years was the "pony car" class. Back in the day, the 07 Shelby GT was the car to have. It had +5hp over the stock Mustang GT, but the stiffer springs and sway bars made it incredibly nimble.

Eventually, the E92 M3 ZCP was introduced to the class (having front engine V8 rear wheel drive configuration made it "fit" the class). That car would dominate the class for years. Even I had a 2016 Camaro SS that I started the sport with in 2020 and at 2021 nats I was humbled by the performance gap between the M3 ZCP and the Camaro SS. I wanted to buy an M3, but they are literal unicorn cars and never come up for sale in stock form for street class.

In 2022 the SCCA moved the GT350, Camaro SS 1LE, and Mustang Mach 1 down to F Street, and those three cars are now the heavy hitters of F Street.

Locally, F Street gets to compete in the S1 class that at our last event had a strong turnout. At national events, F Street has had great attendance!

In short, you have the right car for the class if you wanna continue in the sport.
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    22 Hyundai Veloster N (Sometimes)
    (Your car here?)

If at first you don't succeed, you probably put it in the ditch.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. What does it mean to be grouped with S1?

Looking at the last results, I finished dead last. The gap was 55.664 to my 63.865. Does that mean I'm gonna compete against Tesla's, Vettes and porsches?

Comment

Originally posted by t-ray View Post
        Thanks for the feedback. What does it mean to be grouped with S1?

Looking at the last results, I finished dead last. The gap was 55.664 to my 63.865. Does that mean I'm gonna compete against Tesla's, Vettes and porsches?
        Yes, but it's not a direct time comparison. Those cars have harder PAX values (time modifiers) than F Street does. You wouldn't have had to run a 55.6 to win on that course last event.

A set or premo super 200 tires would shave off a chunk of that time, as well as more seat time. Ryan Finch was driving the winning tesla and he is the best driver I know. Don't let that deficit discourage you because it discourages me too. LOL

You'll undoubtedly improve so long as the sport is fun enough that you'll keep coming out and gathering experience.

I did a writeup explaining PAX:
        At least once an event I will be asked "What is PAX?" or "How does PAX work?" Hopefully this explaination will bring some clarity to a topic that everytime I go into detail about I think, "Man I could certainly do a better job articulating my thoughts when expaining this." First, let's explain
        Nick Lindsay
        16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
        06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
        (Your car here?)

Comment

Also, S1 is Super Street, A Street, B Street, F Street.

Basically, it is the higher HP rwd and awd cars.
          Nick Lindsay
          16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
          06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
          (Your car here?)

Comment

I have been in FS class with my 1LE. Should I be participating in F street. Is that the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkskincamaro View Post
              I have been in FS class with my 1LE. Should I be participating in F street. Is that the same thing?
              Yes, FS is short for S Street. Our open class for FS is Street 1 or S1.
              Nick Lindsay
              16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
              06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
              (Your car here?)

Comment

Originally posted by sharkskincamaro View Post
                There's my guy. I'm the dude in the orange 1le.

I was really really excited for this weekend's event. I hate hate hate the nitto tires that were on the car, so I just mounted some used stock rubber. Unfortunately, on the drive home the right rear is really really greasy (it has a date code from 2018), so ... I may have gone backwards in the grip department.

Comment

Working...
                X