Data acquisition software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data acquisition software

I think I’ve figured out a decent camera mount setup. Am I going to regret just recording plain ol’ video with my phone without some kind of software like SoloStorm? Will the videos still be useful for improvement without data and overlays?

Originally posted by Ob1Jacobi View Post
    I think I’ve figured out a decent camera mount setup. Am I going to regret just recording plain ol’ video with my phone without some kind of software like SoloStorm? Will the videos still be useful for improvement without data and overlays?
    Having data is a very useful tool and having video is also very useful. The data overlay can be helpful at times but it is not truly necessary. I can look at my data log between runs without video and get the information I'm looking for MOST of the time.

The video is usually most helpful when you're trying to diagnose the inputs and to that point I would recommend that your video include your steering wheel in the frame so you can see what the car is doing WITH your inputs.

Respectfully, with you having a few events under your belt, I think sticking to video only right now would be a good idea while you still get comfortable with your car and the events overall. Once you get "in tune" with the car and know how to make the car do what you need it to do the data will begin to play a significant role.

I think a gopro mount on the side of the helmet is a pretty good camera setup as it shows the inputs, the course, and it shows where the driver is looking as you'll see the head tracking side to side with the camera movements.
    Nick Lindsay
    16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
    06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
    22 Hyundai Veloster N (Sometimes)
    (Your car here?)

If at first you don't succeed, you probably put it in the ditch.

Comment

Having data is a very useful tool and having video is also very useful. The data overlay can be helpful at times but it is not truly necessary. I can look at my data log between runs without video and get the information I'm looking for MOST of the time.
      I hadn't thought about this before but it sounds super impressive! I definitely don't think I could grasp that at this point so that makes me feel like video only would be the way to go for me right now.

The video is usually most helpful when you're trying to diagnose the inputs and to that point I would recommend that your video include your steering wheel in the frame so you can see what the car is doing WITH your inputs.
      I've currently got a phone mount near the ceiling in the backseat so I can see the steering wheel. I was hoping to get my knees in frame too so I can see pedal inputs but I don't think I'll be able to get it all in view.

Respectfully, with you having a few events under your belt, I think sticking to video only right now would be a good idea while you still get comfortable with your car and the events overall. Once you get "in tune" with the car and know how to make the car do what you need it to do the data will begin to play a significant role.
      This is what I was thinking. I need to figure out what I'm doing before I try to figure out how to make it better.

I think a gopro mount on the side of the helmet is a pretty good camera setup as it shows the inputs, the course, and it shows where the driver is looking as you'll see the head tracking side to side with the camera movements.
      I like the idea of using my phone as it's fewer things to deal with but if it becomes cumbersome I may look at getting a gopro. I had one I used years ago on a helmet mount for dirt bike riding and it was a good perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Ob1Jacobi View Post

I hadn't thought about this before but it sounds super impressive! I definitely don't think I could grasp that at this point so that makes me feel like video only would be the way to go for me right now.

I've currently got a phone mount near the ceiling in the backseat so I can see the steering wheel. I was hoping to get my knees in frame too so I can see pedal inputs but I don't think I'll be able to get it all in view.

This is what I was thinking. I need to figure out what I'm doing before I try to figure out how to make it better.

I like the idea of using my phone as it's fewer things to deal with but if it becomes cumbersome I may look at getting a gopro. I had one I used years ago on a helmet mount for dirt bike riding and it was a good perspective.
        If your phone mount is in the back seat and gets your steering wheel in frame, thats the chef's kiss!

You'll know what you were doing on the throttle with the audio and car pitching.
        Nick Lindsay
        16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
        06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
        (Your car here?)

Comment

Now that I have a video, where is the best place to post it to get some feedback from people that know more than me? Here? Facebook page? Messenger chat?

Comment

All of the above. Facebook seems to be a solid place to share the video and get a lot of feedback.
            Nick Lindsay
            16 Camaro SS FS3 (Sold)
            06 Corvette Z06 XAS12
            (Your car here?)

Comment

Working...
            X