This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Solo

(There was no "Solo Explanation" on the forum, and I thought it might be helpful for people new to the sport to know the ins and outs of an event. Please look this over and offer suggestions on things incorrect, missed or goofed in general. I hope to "sticky" this when complete.)

1/24/2023 This needs updating, as it is mostly still correct, but some of the terminology has changed. Notably, the class names have changed a bit. I will revisit to update this when I have a minute, and I'm making this note as a "band aid".

ABOUT SOLO

Solo, or Autocross, is a driving event that takes place on a technical course constructed from traffic cones. This is a race against the clock that rewards precise, smooth driving techniques and quick thinking. The driver with the lowest time wins the event and competitors gain points toward a season championship.

PREPARING FOR YOUR FIRST EVENT

ALSCCA Solo events are held in accordance with the rules and guidelines of the SCCA. It's a good idea to read through the SCCA Solo Rule Book before your first event to get an idea of what is required.

Basically you need to bring yourself, your driver's license, the entry fee and a car in good running condition. Some other recommended items to bring are SUNBLOCK, water/sports drinks, approved helmet (SCCA Helmet Certification Bulletin), comfortable shoes, sunglasses, money for food/drinks, tire pressure gauge, a small air compressor/air tank and magnetic numbers/letters.

PREPARING YOUR VEHICLE

Nearly any car can compete in Solo events. There are some exceptions listed in the rule book (mainly trucks, SUVs and crossovers), but most any sedan, coupe, hatchback, wagon or convertible can be autocrossed.

To prepare your vehicle, you'll need to have:
    • Removed any loose items from the passenger compartment and trunk
    • working seat belt or harness
    • Checked all fluid levels and reservoir caps
    • A secured battery with a protective cover on the positive terminal
    • Acceptable pressure/return on the brakes/throttle (and clutch if applicable)
    • No leaking fluids
    • Acceptable tread remaining on your tires
    • Minimal "play" in suspension/steering components
    • All of your lug nuts/bolts in place and tightened to spec

For safety reasons, if your vehicle doesn't meet these requirements at tech inspection, you will not be allowed to participate. If your vehicle fails any part of the inspection you will have time (until tech inspection closes) to correct any issues present and can be inspected again.

VEHICLE CLASSES

Vehicles in Solo events are divided in to classes in order to promote balanced competition. Each class has two parts; the vehicle classification and the class classification. These classifications are listed in detail in the Solo Rule Book. Here is a list of the classes and a brief description of each.
    • S - Stock - Stock cars pretty much how they rolled out of the showroom
    • ST - Street Touring - Mildly modified cars running 140+ treadwear street tires
    • SP - Street Prepared - Mildly modified street cars with no treadwear limitations
    • SM - Street Modified - Heavily modified street/track cars
    • P - Prepared - Production-based race cars
    • M - Modified - Others not listed above, such as non-production race cars

There are also classifications based on the driver or other factors that can be appended to the main class. In these classes, you are often competing against drivers in other vehicle classes. We use a mathematical formula (PAX) based on estimated class performance to calculate your times against the other classes. This way slower car classes can compete with faster, modified car classes.
    • T - Street Tire - Classes running against one another on 140+ tread wear DOT tires. ST classes are not eligible.
    • N - Novice - Drivers new to the sport that have driven three events or less. **
    • L - Ladies - Female drivers that wish to compete with other females

** All drivers with less than 3 completed events are considered novices will compete in the "N" class their first season.

It's a good idea to read through the rule book and decide which class you belong in before the morning of the event. If you can't decide, someone at the event can help you.

WHAT TO EXPECT

Solo is a grass roots motor sport and events are generally held with as little "overhead" as possible in order to keep costs down for participants. Solo events have no designated "crew," only motivated volunteers that handle the different positions in an event. Because of this, participants must work the course for a portion of the day while other competitors have their chance to drive. The amount of time you work depends on the required positions and participant turnout for the event.

Competitors at Solo events come from a wide range of motor sport backgrounds and have varying levels of experience, but they all share a love for the sport and are eager to share that with new participants. If you have questions, need a tool or just want a ride in the Corvette, just ask! Solo is just as much a social event as a motor sport event.

ANY QUESTIONS?

If you would like to attend a Solo event, or have questions in general, feel free to post them here in the forum. Someone here will be able to answer it or know where to find an answer for you.

We look forward to seeing you at an ALSCCA Solo event soon!
    Last edited by nickrd10bk; 01-24-2023, 07:25 AM.
    Matt W.
    18 SM - Lancer Evolution MR
    15 MR - Volkswagen Beetle
    Sponsors: Satellite Racing - Defined Performance

please sticky this
    M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

Comment

Looks great Matt.
      Ricky R
      95 240sx with LS1 power. $4500 drivetrain in a $500 car
      97 miata pretty much stock

Comment

maybe make the title: About Autocros (SOLO)
        M. Cholewa

Because they heard I liked my name, so they put my name as my name so I could have my name in my name... all the time.

Comment

This will make a great sticky! Thanks for getting this together.

How about including a link to Chris Warren's Tips From an Old Timer? I found that to be a great resource as a newcomer.
          1988 911 :: #41 BSP
          My 911 Road Trip Video :: Five Months With a Grrl and Her 911 :: 2009 Turbo Hot Lap@PSDS-Barber

Comment

Cholewa, which way do we want to push the events? Solo or Autocross? I used them interchangeably in the write up, but I can swap them out to one or the other. I wasn't sure which we liked as John made the flier and it says "Solo."

Nice idea Kathy. I'll find a place to work that in.

JW, RR or DE, can you weigh in on the L class for this season please? We had it set up last season as a PAX class just like N. Do we want to keep it that way, run it like nationals as separate classes or just drop it all together?
            Matt W.

Comment

I have no issue with keeping it available, The reason "L" was started on the national level to begin with was to increase participation so why not keep it. Maybe we need to advertise it a little better.
              Darryl E.
              Blue Miata with ricer stickers.
              Wizzer Motorsports

Comment

Alrighty, L will stay as a PAX class.
                Matt W.

Comment

Originally posted by VroomGrrl View Post
                  This will make a great sticky! Thanks for getting this together.

How about including a link to Chris Warren's Tips From an Old Timer? I found that to be a great resource as a newcomer.
                  Kathy, I would like to link to this, but there is an issue. This page resides on an old version of the Web site. I will add a link once we have an updated Web site
                  Last edited by TouringBubble; 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM.
                  Matt W.

Comment

Originally posted by TouringBubble View Post
                    Cholewa, which way do we want to push the events? Solo or Autocross? I used them interchangeably in the write up, but I can swap them out to one or the other. I wasn't sure which we liked as John made the flier and it says "Solo."
                    Solo is the National term, so I choose to use it. I think the term Autocross came from Gymkhana.
                    John W8
                    CSP 10 Yellow Miata

Comment

Alrighty. How about this ... change the title to "Solo/Autocross." I'll make the initial reference to autocross in the write up, and the rest will be solo. It might already be that way ... I'll re-read it.

Has anyone had a chance to look over the tech notes? I went off of memory with that list ...

Our TAC friends may still not understand so you need to add Slalom to the mix.
                      Last edited by engled; 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM.
                      Matt W.

Comment

Its good, but you need to add: seatbelts must lock on vehicles without harness'.
                        M. Cholewa

Comment

Added. Thanks.
                          Matt W.

Comment

Originally posted by Cholewa View Post
                            Its good, but you need to add: seatbelts must lock on vehicles without harness'.
                            Unless that is a local rule that I'm not aware of that is not so. Many cars can't be tested to see if the lock works is probably the reason it's not in the rules. The seat belt rules are little lax IMHO, in SP you don't have to have anything but a lap belt.
                            Darryl E.
                            Blue Miata with ricer stickers.
                            Wizzer Motorsports

Comment

So, is what I have written about the belts okay?
                              Matt W.

Comment

Working...
                              X